JOB TITLE: Senior Infrastructure Services Engineer
REPORTING TO: Application Services Manager
LOCATION: Southern Based (ideally Fareham)
Your primary function will be to provide third line technical support to IT users across Maintel and also to work on projects to keep Maintel's Infrastructure systems up to date. You will also be asked to take technical ownership of one or more key technologies in use within the Maintel IT infrastructure – it will be your responsibility to perform regular health checks on these areas to ensure that all Maintel systems are running at maximum efficiency. You will have responsibility for ensuring that adequate training of other members of the team in your technical ownership area is provided. You may also need to cover 1st Line support during busy periods or periods of holiday and sickness. You will be required to work as part of a the ‘On-Call’ rota.
- To ensure all escalated IT incidents and requests are logged and handled in an acceptable time frame, at all times adopting a customer facing approach.
- To ensure that all owned incidents are followed up after any actions have been taken, to identify if more action is required.
- In areas that you have been assigned technical ownership it will be your responsibility to ensure that relevant documentation exists, which is checked and updated regularly and that regular health checks are performed. Problems with these checks must be escalated to the Application Services Manager.
- Ensuring adequate skills exist elsewhere in the team for areas you have been assigned technical ownership
- To research new technologies to suggest better ways of providing IT service and increasing the security offered by IT
- Working under your own supervision and to a large extent your own initiative.
- Being a team player who works well with all other members of the IT team when required.
- Ensuring the right levels of communication are kept up both within the IT team and the rest of the organisation.
- Ensuring that the incidents escalated into the 3rd Line queue are prioritised correctly against the need to keep up with the tasks required in your personal areas of ownership with Maintel's systems.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- No formal qualifications are required for this role, however a working knowledge of ITIL is required.
- Whilst not essential, relevant Microsoft certifications would be of a distinct advantage.
- The user should have proven ability to work through complex IT problems with little or no assistance, or have qualifications in at least one and preferably two of the following areas:-
- Microsoft Server Operating Systems
- Active Directory (2008 R2)
- Data Centre Technologies
- Exchange Server 2010 - 12
- General Network Architecture (Switches, routers and firewalls)
- SQL Server - general admin (including backup methods)
- McAfee AV
Skills and Aptitudes
- Be able to work on own initiative as well as part of a team
- Ability to organise and prioritise own time
- Good communicator
- Must be tenacious and able to keep going to get to the bottom of the most stubborn problems
Job knowledge / Experience
Preferably possess 3 to 4 years experience of providing IT related support to cover the following areas:
- Experience of installing and troubleshooting most current Microsoft core products
- Experience of installing and troubleshooting standard computer hardware
- Experience of administering Active Directory and Exchange including:
- Managed Installs
- Sound knowledge of networking and TCP/IP
- An in depth knowledge of at least one of and preferably two of the skills mentioned in the qualifications section above.